At the June 2000 annual meeting, Peter Walsh presented
his report, A Preliminary Study of the Content of The AMICO Library
with Recommendations for Future Development (download
pdf). He identified unmet expectations of users looking at The AMICO Library as a source for works of art published in major art history
textbooks. There was consensus at the meeting that all member institutions
should make a priority of contributing those works in their collections
that are reproduced in art history textbooks and used for class teaching.
To facilitate this process, AMICO staff and
interns prepared a table of works included in the Academic Image
Cooperative with references to works inthe collection of AMICO members
and their presence in The AMICO Library. This table was sent to
members on July 10th.
The AMICO interns have also surveyed the
works reproduced in the following major art history textbooks:
- Art: A World History. 1st ed., 1997.
- Janson, H.W., and Anthony F. Janson. History
of Art. 5th ed., 1997.
- Kostof, Spiro. A History of Architecture:
Settings and Rituals. 2nd ed., 1995
- Newhall, Beaumont. The History of Photography.
5th ed., 1997.
- Silver, Larry. Art in History. 1st
- Stokstad, Marilyn. Art History.
1st ed., 1995.
- Tansey, Richard G., and Fred S. Kleiner.
Gardner's Art Through the Ages. 10th ed., 1996.
These lists were sent to members on August
Please contact AMICO if you
need another copy of your list.
We have received the following suggestions
of textbooks to add to the project:
If you have an intern who is interested in working
on this project, please contact us.
We will provide a template that will facilitate merging of their work
with the survey to date. Please email
suggestions or comments for additional books to survey.
- Arnason, H. H., and Marla F. Prather.
History Of Modern Art: Painting, Sculpture, Architecture, Photography.
4th ed., 1998.
- Fineberg, Jonathan. Art Since 1940.
2nd ed., 2000.
- Harper, John Russell, Painting in Canada:
a history. 2nd. ed., 1977 (French and English versions available).
- Hartt, Frederick N. Art : A History
of Painting, Sculpture, Architecture. 1993.
- Lee, Sherman E. History of Far Eastern
- Mason, Penelope. History of Japanese
- Reid, Dennis, A Concise history of Canadian
- Sullivan, Michael. The Arts of China.
4th ed., 1999.
- Wilkins, David G., Bernard Schultz, and
Katheryn M. Linduff. Art Past, Art Present, 3rd ed., 1997.
to the Editorial Committee Page
Last modified on